Tang Wei Martial Arts Association
The Tang Wei Martial Arts Association (TWMAA) is an association of professional self-defense instructors teaching the revolutionary mixed self-defense system known as Wu Ji Quan Fa (WJQF) or 5 Extremes Martial Method (5XMM). Founded by Tang Wei Martial Arts President and Grand Master Tom Garriga in conjunction with his most senior instructors.
The Tang Wei Martial Arts Association provides training locally at several locations across the western United States where regular classes are held. Tom Garriga and the other Senior Instructors also travel periodically to conduct training events in conjunction with local associates around the country. (view map and calendar for associates and events near you)
Facing violent criminal assaults is a real concern. The goal of the association is to provide the best self-defense training to the people who need it. To men and women seeking to protect themselves and their families, to law enforcement working to protect their communities and to military personnel who work to protect the country.
The association brings together the combined talent of dozens of mastery ranked students, instructors and outside affiliates that have trained and worked with Tom Garriga in his 50+ year career teaching in the martial arts. This allows us to ensure that you will receive the training you need to prevail and survive when your life is on the line. From empty handed striking, kicking, grappling, ground fighting to weapons usage and defense, to firearm disarming and retention, to awareness, prevention and strategic set up, combat mindset and more.
Those wanting to be prepared to protect themselves and their families from violent assaults should find a certified TWMAA trainer and start training today. Invest six months to a year of your life in the revolutionary WJQF/5XMM system and come away with skills that can save your life when you face a violent confrontation and a perspective that will change your life forever, giving you the enduring peace of mind that comes from preparation.
Wu Ji Quan Fa-“5 Extremes Martial Method”
WJQF/5XMM is a practical and highly effective self-defense method geared for realistic combat scenarios. Created by Tom Garriga and from contributions by dozens of instructors in the Tang Wei Martial Arts Association (TWMAA). The system’s core principle is to teach integrated knowledge and skills from all legitimate sources.
“5 extremes” is a symbolic term representing the core skills taught in the system.
- Engagement Strategy: This is one part of the battle of the mind. It is how to recognize an assault before it happens and how to utilize strategy to give yourself a decisive advantage prior to physically engaging the enemy.
- Neutralization Tactics: once the physical fight starts, how to use effective tactics to neutralize the enemy’s offensive and defensive actions to gain access to finishing targets.
- Fight Finishing: accessing finishing targets with sufficient power to drop the enemy and immediately take the fight to the appropriate conclusion.
- Combat Concepts and Mindset: how to develop a warrior mindset and perspective to overcome combat stress and thrive in the combat environment.
- Warrior ship: martial arts is about far more than fighting. It is a way of life and living, of thinking and behaving. Philosophy, meditation, and various forms of exercise are used to discover and reach your potentials mentally, physically and spiritually.
What WJQF/5XMM is and is not….
- It is not a sport form: It is a purely combat oriented system, primarily teaching tactics which can mitigate differences in size and strength which are highly illegal in competition. For example, methods of attacking the throat, eyes, groin, and knee joint and cervical spine and other highly sensitive and vulnerable targets are primary focuses. 5XMM does not participate in traditional competitions nor teach competition oriented skills.
- It is a weapons based system: Its core influence is a rare weapons based system called Ge Jian Pai which was rumored to have been developed for life and death combat application on the battlefield during the warring states period in China. Ge Jian Pai specialized in Sword, Spear, Knife and Stick fighting methods which were then adapted for empty handed application with an emphasis for empty handed defense against weapons.
- It is a composite system with 20+ styles serving as heavy influences: Ge Jian Pai also over a long history sought out and integrated skills from many sources of martial arts, primarily in the East Asia region but also with several western influences. The only criteria for integration was that methods had to be reliable, applicable and decisive for application in a real no rules combat environment.
- It is progressive: WJQF has been periodically updated to stay on the cutting edge for modern threats. The TWMAA has continued to update and compile additional skills such as modern firearms usage and defense, tradecraft and field craft, military tactics and strategies, meditation, healing methods, personal development skills and anything else which can make a warrior more effective.
- It is Non Traditional: There are no traditional uniforms or dojo settings. We train inside martial arts studios and then often in scenario specific locations. There is no “sensei/guru” and student dynamic, but rather instructors are dedicated trainers seeking to share skills with you. Mutual respect is the cornerstone of how we train and the dynamic that is created during training sessions.
- It is principle based and skill based rather than technique based: It is focused on preparing students to apply skills in the real combative environment which is extremely fast paced, completely unscripted, and unrelenting. Universal patterns of motion are practiced and drilled with principles of adaptation being stressed so that patterns of motions can function against multiple types of attack with only minor alterations. An array of training drills are used to give students a frame of reference for actual fighting while maintaining safety and avoiding injury.