The Tang Wei Fighting Method (TWFM):
-Collect knowledge and skill from all sources and always be looking.
-E.N.D. the fight fast.
-Go where ever the fight goes
THE TANG WEI SYSTEM IS A COMPOSITE OPEN SOURCED SYSTEM OF GENERIC UNIVERSAL FIGHTING SKILLS AND WARRIOR DEVELOPMENT TRAINING METHODS!
“5 extremes” in the TWFM is a symbolic term representing the generic universal skills focused upon in the system.
- Engagement Strategy: This is one part of the battle of the mind. It is how to recognize an assault before it happens and how to utilize strategy to give yourself a decisive advantage prior to physically engaging the enemy.
- Neutralization Tactics: once the physical fight starts, how to use effective tactics to neutralize the enemy’s offensive and defensive actions to gain access to finishing targets.
- Fight Finishing: accessing finishing targets with sufficient power to drop the enemy and immediately take the fight to the appropriate conclusion.
- Combat Concepts and Mindset: how to develop a warrior mindset and perspective to overcome combat stress and thrive in the combat environment.
- Warrior ship: martial arts is about far more than fighting. It is a way of life and living, of thinking and behaving. Philosophy, meditation, and various forms of exercise are used to discover and reach your potentials mentally, physically and spiritually.
In summary Tang Wei is a practical and highly effective self-defense method geared for realistic combat scenarios. Created by Tom Garriga and from contributions by dozens of instructors in the Tang Wei Association. The system’s core principle is to teach integrated knowledge and skills from all legitimate sources.
What Tang Wei is and is not….
- It is not a sport form: It is a purely combat oriented system, primarily teaching tactics which can mitigate differences in size and strength which are highly illegal in competition. For example, methods of attacking the throat, eyes, groin, and knee joint and cervical spine and other highly sensitive and vulnerable targets are primary focuses. Practitioners of the Tang Wei Fighting Method typically do not participate in traditional competitions nor teach competition oriented skills.
- It specializes in weapons usage and empty handed defense against weapons: Its core influence is a rare sword based weapons and empty handed fighting system called Ge Jian Pai. This system was rumored to have been developed for life and death combat application on the battlefield during the warring states period in China. Ge Jian Pai specialized in Sword, Spear, Knife and Stick fighting methods which were then adapted for empty handed application with an emphasis for empty handed defense against weapons.
- It is a composite system with 20+ styles serving as heavy influences: Ge Jian Pai also had a long history of seeking out and integrating skills from many sources of martial arts, primarily in the East Asia region but also with several western influences. The only criteria for integration was that methods had to be reliable, applicable and decisive for application in a real no rules combat environment.
- It is progressive: The Tang Wei System has been periodically updated to stay on the cutting edge for modern threats. The Tang Wei Association has continued to update and compile additional skills such as modern firearms usage and defense, tradecraft and field craft, military tactics and strategies, meditation, healing methods, personal development skills and anything else which can make a warrior more effective.
- It is Non Traditional: There are no traditional uniforms or dojo settings. We train inside martial arts studios, in small localized groups operating out of instructor garages and often in scenario specific locations. There is no “sensei/guru” and student dynamic, but rather instructors are dedicated trainers seeking to cut the crap and simply share skills with you. Mutual respect is the cornerstone of how we train and the of the dynamic that is created during training sessions.
- It is principle based and skill based rather than technique based: It is focused on preparing students to apply skills in the real combative environment which is extremely fast paced, completely unscripted, and unrelenting. Universal patterns of motion are practiced and drilled with principles of adaptation being stressed so that patterns of motions can function against multiple types of attack with only minor alterations. An array of training drills are used to give students a frame of reference for actual fighting while maintaining safety and avoiding injury.
Tang Wei Fighting Method
Training warriors in the most effective combat tactics, strategies and mindset so they can END the fight fast and go wherever the fight goes.
Tang Wei Warrior Development
Live with Honor, Discipline the body, mind and spirit to develop and reach more of your potential.